We are vast approaching summer, it may not seem like it here in North America (bitter winter followed by a slow to start spring), but the sun is shining, and the weather is started to come around. That means outdoor parties are just around the corner! Barbecues are my favorite parties, and my best memories are spending time with family and friends enjoying the outdoors and grilling up some delicious meat.
I wanted to share with you my favorite ways to make your next BBQ party sizzle!
barbecue party Decorations
No party is complete without decorations. Go crazy or add some unique touches. I love barbecue decorations because they are so much fun! To get you started here are some simple ways to spruce up your backyard for the event!
- Wheelbarrow Drink Cooler – Got a wheelbarrow you wouldn’t mind using? Add ice and cans of drinks.
- Galvanized Steel Container – Same idea as the wheelbarrow.
- Plastic table cloths – I’d check the dollar store for these, you can often find a variety of colors and styles that can suit your tastes. Be sure to pick up some clips to hook these onto the table in case of some wind!
- Mason Jar Centerpieces – I’m a huge fan of mason jars (check out my earlier post on Cool Ideas here), they are relatively inexpensive and incredibly versatile. I like picking some fresh spring flowers and making a simple mason jar “vases.”
- If you have a large venue (or backyard), you may want to jazz things up with cute wooden signposts (you can check out my earlier post on how to make your own here).
- Tiki torches are a cool way to add some lighting to your backyard. You can find these at most stores that sell patio supplies.
- Make natural bug repellant and a sweet luminary! Check out this bug-less idea from Freebie Finding Mom!
It isn’t just about the grill; successful parties have a multitude of options. Depending on the number of guests you have coming, you’ll want to plan accordingly. I have three fresh suggestions that are thinking outside the traditional barbecue food.
Cupcakes From The Grill
These are incredibly adorable! You can find the full details at Frugal Mom Eh, but you’re making cute chocolate cupcakes (you could probably insert your favorite recipe for the cupcakes) and then adding some elegant “grill” icing designs.
Asian Steak Kebabs
For a delicious twist on the traditional kebab, you can check out Julie’s Eats And Treats for a yummy Asian inspired recipe. Kebabs are a unique departure from the usual barbecue party fare, like burgers or hotdogs.
Bacon-wrapped Asparagus Spears
I love bacon and asparagus is a delicious side dish, why not combine the two? Fit Foodie Finds details instructions on how to cook these either in the oven or on the grill, so they’re perfect for a side dish!
Your guests will get thirsty in the heat. In addition to having the standard beverages like sodas and lemonade, you may wish to branch out a little and have a few signature drinks.
I love strawberries, and margaritas make an excellent way to beat the heat with their slushy goodness. Shake Drink Repeat has the full scoop and has made it super easy for you by splitting the recipe into a single drink versus a pitcher!
Ginger Cantaloupe Sangria
Sangria is excellent, and Pinterest is full of different twists on the traditional recipe. I love this recipe from Kitchen Confidante. It’s a wonderfully refreshing drink on a hot summer day!
Raspberry Key Lime Italian Soda
Will Cook For Smiles has a delicious Italian soda recipe. Once you have the syrup prepared, the rest of the drink comes together quickly!
Barbecue Party Games
So you have the right ambiance with your decorations, and your food and drink are on point, what about entertainment? Here are some quick and easy ides!
- Bean Bag Toss – Remember this game? Check out Mod Podge Rocks for a cool DIY edition!
- Angry Birds – She Knows has the full tutorial to create a yard-sized edition to this addictive phone game!
- Bug Tic-Tac-Toe – Ladybug versus Bumblebees! This idea is seriously cute, using a tree stump as the playing table. Check out the full tutorial at Chicken Scratch NY.
- Yard Jenga – A twist on the classic game, you take some 2x4s and cut them down into the block size. You can check out the full details at Lemon Thistle.
Summertime BBQ parties can be so much fun, but only if you plan them ahead of time. I recommend using a checklist to keep track of the things you need to buy, craft and prepare so you can also enjoy your event without being overly stressed.
If you want instant access to my free printable ultimate party planning workbook, enter your email below and let me help you pull off a sizzling barbecue party!
I hope this article helped you and if it did, please share it on your favorite social media platform and pin it to Pinterest!
Next week, I’m going to share with you how Pinterest can grow your blog traffic and some strategies (both paid and unpaid), so you can make the most of this search engine. Until then, stay crafty my friends!